29th of May 2017

The Royal Castle in Warsaw

The history of the Royal Castle goes back to the fourteenth century when the Great Tower was erected.

In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries during the reign of Sigismund III Vasa, the Castle underwent large-scale expansion and was transformed into a five-winged edifice with an inner courtyard. It was a royal residence, the place where parliamentary deliberations were held and the administrative and cultural center of the country.

Destroyed in the middle of the seventeenth century during the Swedish Wars, it gradually regained its former magnificence during the reign of the Saxon-Wettin dynasty.

In the second half of the eighteenth century, artists in the employ of Stanislaus Augustus (Jan Christian Kamsetzer, Marcello Bacciarelli, Domenico Merlini) reconstructed the interiors of the chambers, comprising the Great Apartment and the King’s Apartment.

During the period of the partitions (in the nineteenth century) the major part of the collections of the last Polish king ended up in Russia. After Poland regained its independence, some of the works of art were reinstated to their rightful place in the Castle.

In September 1939 the Castle was bombed by the Germans; however museologists, under the leadership of Professor Stanisław Lorentz, managed to salvage some elements of the interiors and also some of the works of art. In September 1944 the Castle was blown up by the German army.

In the years 1945-1970, the Communist authorities delayed making a decision on whether to rebuild the Castle. The decision to do so was taken in 1971. Funds for the rebuilding of the Castle which took until 1980 were provided thanks to the dedication of the community. In 1984 the reconstructed interiors were opened to the general public.

Website: https://www.zamekkrolewski.pl/en

 

Old Town

Historic center and oldest part of the city, it is also a living, breathing cultural salon. Founded in the 13th century as the prince’s castle, it is surrounded by walls. During World War II, 90% of it was destroyed, but thanks to its excellent restoration and recovery, in 1980 it was granted the status of a UNESCO World Heritage List. Currently, it is a lively place, bustling with tourists and locals, and full of galleries, cafés and restaurants.

Website: http://warsawtour.pl/en/warsaw-for-everyone/old-town-and-surroundings-2946.html

 

Krasiński Palace

One of the most beautiful palaces in Warsaw and Poland. Built in the Baroque style (in the 17th century), it is also called the Palace of the Republic of Poland, was formerly the seat of the supreme court, and is now one of the seats of the National Library.

In the palace there are numerous manuscripts, including those by Załuskich and Rapperswilska, as well other rare books that miraculously survived the horrors of war. Other collections worthy of attention are the priceless Polish and foreign medieval manuscripts, a thematic collection devoted to the period of Great Emigration (1831-1883) and stationery souvenirs from Cyprian Kamil Norwid.

Behind the palace is Krasiński Garden – a beautiful baroque urban park, which is a popular place for walks and picnics.

Website: http://warsawtour.pl/en/tourist-attractions/krasi-ski-palace-pa-ac-krasi-skich-2923.html

30th of May 2017

Attendance in the In-seminar tour

 

31th of May 2017

St. Anne’s Church

A church in the historic center of Warsaw, Poland, adjacent to the Castle Square, at Krakowskie Przedmieście 68. It is one of Poland’s most notable churches with a Neoclassical facade. The church ranks among Warsaw’s oldest buildings. Over time, it has seen many reconstructions, resulting in its present-day appearance, unchanged since 1788. Currently it is the main church parish of the academic community in Warsaw.

Website: www.swanna.waw.pl

 

Nowy Świat

One of the main historic thoroughfares of Warsaw. It comprises part of the Royal Route (Trakt królewski) that runs from Warsaw’s Royal Castle and Old Town, south to King John III Sobieski’s 17th-century royal residence at Wilanów.

Website: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowy_%C5%9Awiat_Street

 

Łazienki

The Royal Łazienki was King Stanisław August’s summer residence, in which a classicist architecture is harmoniously blended with its natural surroundings featuring fabulous gardens.

Here, one can not only rest while watching nature but also deepen one’s knowledge of the ideas of the Enlightenment by visiting such gems of the European architecture as: The Palace on the Isle, The Old Orangery, The Myślewicki Palace, The White Pavilion, The Officer Cadets School with the Ignacy Jan Paderewski Room, and the picturesquely located Amphitheatre.

In the Royal Łazienki gardens, one can stroll on paths and alleys surrounded by trees, shrubs, and flowers. Our visitors can choose between the Royal Garden, the Romantic Garden, the Modernist Garden as well as the new Chinese Garden. The Deckchair Leisure Zone – located near the New Orangery – is also available.

Website: http://www.lazienki-krolewskie.pl/en?langset=true